What are Cookies?
Cookies are small text files which a website may put on your computer or mobile device when you first visit a site or page. The cookie will help the website, or another website, to recognise your device the next time you visit. We use the term “cookies” in this policy to refer to all files that collect information in this way.
There are many functions cookies serve. For example, they can help us to remember your username and preferences or analyse how well AIM is performing.
Certain cookies contain personal information – for example, if you click to “remember me” when logging in, a cookie will store your username. Most cookies will not collect information that identifies you, but will instead collect more general information such as how users arrive at and use AIM.
What Sort of Cookies Does AIM Use?
Generally, our cookies perform up to three different functions:
- Essential Cookies. Some cookies are essential for the operation of AIM. If you opt to disable these cookies, you will not be able to access or use all of the features that AIM incorporates.
- Performance Cookies. We utilise other cookies to analyse how our visitors use AIM and to monitor performance. This allows us to provide a high quality experience by customising our offering and quickly identifying and fixing any issues that arise. For example, we might use performance cookies to keep track of which pages are most popular, which method of linking between pages is most effective, and to determine why some pages are receiving error messages.
- Functionality Cookies. We use functionality cookies to allow us to remember your preferences. For example, cookies save you the trouble of typing in your username every time you use AIM, and recall your customisation preferences.
Some of the cookies we commonly use are listed below. This list is not exhaustive, but it is intended to illustrate the main reasons we typically set cookies. When you use AIM some or all of the following cookies may be set:
- AIM_Auth: Helps to authenticate you when you sign in with your AIM account.
- AI_User and AI_Session: Added by the Application Insights service provided by Microsoft, this allows us to detect and log errors and performance statistics about AIM.
We do use or allow third parties to serve cookies that fall into the three categories above. For example, like many companies, we use Google Analytics to help us monitor our traffic and Microsoft Application Insights to monitor for errors. We may also use third party cookies to help us with market research, revenue tracking, improving site functionality and monitoring compliance with our terms of service.
Please note we do not allow advertising on AIM so there will be no cookies for this purpose.
Can You Block Cookies?
As we have explained above, cookies help you to get the most out of AIM.
However, if you do wish to disable cookies then you can do so by amending the settings within your browser or mobile device.
Please remember that if you do choose to disable cookies, you may find that certain sections of AIM do not work properly or at all.